Tim Egan – Founder of Sugar Hill Associates.
Tim is a specialist in broadcast and web based video content services for marketing and media affairs, practicing in New England and Canada, via offices in Sugar Hill, NH, and Boston, MA; he researches, builds relationships with, creatively implements, and analyzes the power of – media for business, education and government clients.
Tim is a specialist in broadcast and web based video content services for a marketing and media affairs, practicing in New England & Canada. Via offices in Sugar Hill, NH, and Boston, MA he researches; builds relationships with; creatively implements; and analyzes the power of – media for business, education and government clients.
He is a Board Member and Media Advisor for Catalyst Story Institute/Content Festival in Duluth, MN guiding the development of digital video content. As well, a Consulting Executive Producer of broadcast television programming for at Moody Street TV in Waltham, MA. He has two New England Emmy Awards as Writer/Director/Producer, among his 28 Emmy Nominations during his 25 plus year career in New England.
He is a Part-Time Professor at sister schools in the Vermont Sate College System: since January 2014 teaching in the Visual Arts, English/Philosophy/Film and Business Departments at NVU-Lyndon; since Spring of 2016 teaching in the Business department at NVU-Johnson and in 2016 named Co-Director of NVU’s incubator Without Walls, that supports small business development with experienced student labor. In 2019 he was selected Alternate Delegate of the Part/Time Faculty Union Chapter VT-AFT Local 7810.
With a nod to media industry development, in 2012 he was named inaugural Marketing Chairman for the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences until 2018 when it was incorporated into his new role: Co-Chair of Strategic Planning. He served as National Trustee in 2010-2012, after two terms as President of the New England Chapter and Founding Co-Chair of Presidents Council for NATAS, from 2006 to 2010.
Upon moving to NH, in 2011 Tim was appointed as Business Representative/Media Advisor to The NH/Canada Trade Council. In 2017 he was elected a VP for the NE/Canada Business Council; in 2016 appointed Treasurer of Catamount Arts in St. Johnsbury, VT. In 2018 he was elected to the NH House of Representatives for Grafton District #2.
He is a principle in Sugar Hill Associates, a forward thinking media training firm teaching the power of media exposure and help clients maximizing it. Along with communication content clients, he is a media advisor to The Canadian Consul-General of New England, The Cannabis Certification Council, NBC Boston, NECN, The New England Canada Business Council, MIT’s Technology Review, PA Consulting, Vermont State Colleges and legislative officials in Mass. & NH. He was a media services consultant to: Presidential Campaigns of Sen. Joe Biden (DE.) in 2008 & Gov. Jerry Brown (CA.) in 1992, Lt. Gov. Tim Murray (MA) in 2010, Sen. President Therese Murray (MA) & Jim King for US Senate in 2012 (MA) and the 2014-16 NH House Of Representatives – Environmental Caucus.
In his spare time he received an M.S. in Marketing (’15) magna cum laude at SNHU.edu and lives in/enjoys the White Mountains of NH with his wife Betty & daughter Maggie.
Sugar Hill Associates (Services)
Media Training & Educator Video
What we do: Deliver media training and strategies to empower
our clients, by improving their approach to communications – from on-camera skills & messaging, to public relations & video production – through an established curriculum. Our goal is to create and improve visibility for educators, their brand and to increase their success. Our service is based on the needs and goals of our educational clients.
Our Clients: For this effort we will focus on Male and Female
executive leadership in academia, where leader wants to become more successful by improving their image and media message. Have professors be more on-camera friendly. Our exclusive curriculum was designed by established broadcasters and working collegiate faculty.
Our approach: Professional, friendly, positive, individualized,
efficient and reality-based. Training is One-on-One or Group. Our successful program is adjustable for a groups curriculum focus. We utilize and maximize the video technology the client has on held. As our experts are season in presentation skills using video conferencing, video display and video files.
How it Works:
- Meet with clients to understand their current communications strategy and media skills. Listen to their goals and expectations.
- Meet with Senior Staff/Department Leadership to develop topics of interest and goals for media exposure.
- Advise on look, voice, body language for interviews & tele-promoter.
- Skills training for video, audio, classroom & stage.
- Developing and delivering a message in all situations.
- Consult with client staff on outreach to develop strategy for
outreach & a process to expand.
- Fine tune client’s skill. On-camera scenarios. Review
- Design strategy or “tip-sheet”.
- Written assessment of client.
- Video is like a conversation. People need to see it in the same way be it in the room or live.
- Playing to audience in the room and afar (virtual students). Review both audiences designed approach on: voice, blocking and personal teaching style with materials. (white board, PPT, video, handouts)
- Make the tech work for you with focus on voice, room presence,
and eye contact.
- Dress to that works for video and is comfy. Don’t distract.
- Positioning. Where to stand and where to look. How & why.
- Simplicity. Start slow. Grow to technology.
- Top Ten tips on making a Stage Presentation
- Present visual curriculum – PPT’s, Docs, Images, video
- Practice session taped, watch and learn from it.
- Simple understanding of light & sound for the classroom
- The basics of IT, Tech understanding, know when to call the support staff.
- Evaluation and Feedback
Professional Development Offerings
Media Training: Crisis Communications/Presentation Skills/Public Speaking
- Build and polish professional and media communication skills.
- Improve business relationships and bottom line.
- Increase leadership ability, entrepreneurial & company success.
Tailored Coaching/Training Session: Could Include
- Zoom/Skype/webinar/remote camera skills taught by TV experts.
- Presentations: Best practices for effective engagement.
- Developing a clear message and message points.
- Preparing for speeches, interviews, panels, and presentations.
- Distilling a technical message for a wider audience.
- Knowing your audience.
- Public speaking – eye contact, body language, voice, image.
- Overcoming fear of public speaking and media interaction.
- Importance of media skills for advancement and leadership.
- Media Training: understanding differences between TV, radio, print, online and social media.
- What do reporters, writers and bloggers want?
- How to prepare for and handle media interviews.
- How to stay on message, be brief, direct and clear.
- Identifying, preparing for, and handling crisis situations.
- Avoiding offensive language.
- Developing greater cultural, gender awareness.
- TV: Appearing on camera.
- Social media do’s and don’ts.
- Developing confidence and authenticity, being yourself.
- Show video examples of right and wrong.
- Videotape mock presentations and interviews.
- Evaluation of tape.
- Sessions one-time or ongoing, Individual or Group.
Clients Have Included
Axis Communications, British Consul General of Boston, Boston Globe, Boston Museum of Science, Boston Private Bank & Trust, Ebben/Zall Communications, EmTech, Fidelity Investments, Massachusetts Caucus of Women Legislators, MIT’s Technology Review Magazine, Murphy & King, NH/Canada Trade Council, NH Production Coalition, Reynders McVeigh Capital Management, SEDO.com and on-air talent/political candidates in Mass & NH. Canadian Consulate of New England, Quebec Office in Boston, NH-BIA, NH House Dem Caucus, Passumpsic Bank, Boston Urban Partners, PA Consulting